Revealing Remote Work Statistics & Facts for 2023

Managing a hybrid workplace without rethinking your office design or equipping your teams with digital tools can be challenging. 76.8% of employees consider technology to be one of the top three drivers for transition to flexible work. From online communication platforms to desk booking software and virtual reality solutions, they believe having access to these resources is fundamental to being future-proof. Owl Labs research reveals that 39% of workers expect the metaverse to improve flexible work.

There are certain technologies to help through a smooth transition. These will also support your top talent employees to remain productive at home. 80% of remote workers stated that they would recommend remote working to a friend, according to a survey performed by Gartner.

What is remote work?

1 in 2 people won’t return to jobs that don’t offer remote work once pandemic restrictions end. 80% expect to work from home at least 3x per week after COVID, while 23% would take a pay cut of 10% or more, to work from home some of the time. COVID-19 was obviously a catalyst for many companies and workers to be forced into remote work, though remote work has been trending upwards for some time prior to 2020. For those who only went remote during the pandemic, many have made the decision to continue with WFH after seeing the benefits, both to companies and employees themselves. We’re seeing a rise of fully remote workplaces, as well as hybrid environments where workers can choose to come into the office or work from home.

remote work statistics

The following table illustrates what remote and hybrid workers in the US can expect. According to GitLab’s 2021 Remote Work Report, 42% of companies are hybrid. High-speed internet is one of the prerequisites for modern digital work, especially for the global remote workforce. Meanwhile, in Japan, the number of companies offering remote work has decreased, as data from a 2022 survey done by Tokyo Shōkō Research shows. Only 29% of Japanese companies allow remote work, meaning the remaining 71% offer no remote positions. Prohibiting employers from discriminating against workers based on gender, age, professional group, disability, or seniority.

82% of employers expect to allow remote work options post-pandemic

Around 73% of all teams will have remote workers by the year 2028. 87% of respondents believe their employers trust them to work remotely. The latest remote work statistics suggest that most people are similarly, or in some cases more, productive working away form the office as they were when working in the office. What this tells us is that today’s employees are looking for more than just a place to work. They’re looking for an employer who values their growth and development as well as their personal wellbeing. Offering these options will help position your company as an attractive place to work.

In addition to changing their place of work, some remote workers changed their place of living, too. When it comes to the overall remote work experience, Buffer’s 2022 State of the Remote Work Report revealed that 61% of people consider it a positive experience. Also, remote work stats 2023 it’s encouraging to know that no one said that remote work was or is a negative experience for them. As remote work continues to reshape the professional world, understanding the latest data can provide valuable insights into the future direction of the workforce.

What advantages are remote work statistics revealing?

99% of workers would be interested in working from home, telecommuting statistics reveal. Research also shows most on-site employees would be more willing to remain in their current job if they were given more flexible schedules. Remote workers are 57% more likely to be satisfied with their jobs than the average American. Having your own comfortable working space at home is also an excellent way to increase productivity. According to working from home statistics in 2018, there were 5 million people in the US who work from home either full-time or part-time.